School Transport Assistance Program
Your child may be eligible for transport assistance between home and school.
The school transport assistance program has 2 categories:
- Category 1—public transport (bus, rail, ferry) or conveyance allowance
- Category 2—contract minibus and taxi.
Eligibility is different for each.
Eligibility for assessment
To be eligible for an assessment, your child must be:
- at least 3 years old
- have a disability
- attend the nearest school or the nearest school with a suitable specialised program.
How to apply
- Contact the principal or head of special education services at your child’s school.
- A school transport assessor at the school will complete a distance check.
- If your school is the nearest suitable school, the assessment will recommend the type of transport assistance your child is eligible to receive.
National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
Students with disability will continue to receive transport assistance to travel to and from school when the NDIS is introduced in Queensland.
The NDIS will not disrupt existing services for eligible students. The Queensland Government will also continue to provide school transport assistance for students with disability who are NOT eligible to receive funding via the NDIS.
You can read more about school transport assistance, or contact:
- the school your child attends or is planning to attend
- a principal education officer (Student Services) at your Department of Education regional office.