Study at TAFE
TAFE Queensland (Technical and Further Education, Queensland) is the largest provider of vocational education and training, and adult learning in the state.
There are 13 TAFE institutes over multiple campuses across Queensland. You can enrol for a range of courses from short courses, certificates and diplomas to bachelor degrees. Areas of study include:
- building and construction
- business and financial services
- education and training
- engineering, automotive and mining
- information technology
- community services and health
- hospitality, travel and tourism.
Steps for applying
You can apply directly to your preferred TAFE for most courses.
The Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC) handles some TAFE applications.
- Check key dates—e.g. when QTAC applications are due and when you'll need to respond to course offers.
- Search for your course to find out what you need to be accepted.
- TAFE may consider your academic record, work experience or portfolio for art courses, or high demand diploma and associate degrees.
- For full-time associate degrees and some diploma and certificate courses, apply through QTAC. If you miss out on a first offer, you may be able to enrol in a part-time course and later transfer to full-time study.
- For part-time advanced diplomas, certificates and short courses, apply to a TAFE institute.
- Once you've received an offer, check with QTAC to see if you're eligible for credit from prior study or learning. Read more about recognition of prior learning.
Ways to study
Depending on your area of study you may have access to flexible study options like:
- part time
- online or distance education—TAFE Open Learning and TAFE online courses
- summer programs
- exchange programs.
Contact your preferred TAFE institute directly for more information about flexible study options for your preferred course.
TAFE Queensland offers government-funded and full-fee-paying courses. Costs will vary depending on the course you choose. You may have to pay for books and materials as well as course fees.
See what study costs and financial help are available or check with your nearest campus.